BECAUSE THE BRITISH DO IT BETTER.
Yes, I know, MY NAME is twee Americana, but imagine it's a coo emitting from a classy English hooker with a motherly timbre to her voice (circa 1840's Liverpool), and you'll get what I hear in my head when I say it. It's more effeminate and endearing than overly or inaccessibly novel/"cute". LIKE THIS SHIT.
As much as I like listening to it, and as "cute" as it is, there is something off-putting and non-experiential about it. I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad for the guy or see this as a commentary on contemporary gender roles vs. the ones we create on the fly in our relationships vs. I don't fucking know what to think about this music/video is basically what I'm trying to say! And it's easy to just say "it's good music!" put the single on repeat and just "go with it". But then, there's THIS SHIT.
NO, CLICK ME!
Nobody does twee/rips off America like the British. This is just Wes Anderson rip off after Wes Anderson rip off, and yet...I don't know, there's something British and non-rip-offish about it. And I actually believe that the lead singer, despite his infantile appearance, might actually know a thing or two about what it's like to have "your heart broken by a bitch".
I'm not here to write a dissertation on why I thought Napoleon Dynamite was an entertaining/piece of shit movie, but then again, neither of these videos was a good example of microquirk either, so I guess I'm just being angry that American filmmakers/musicians can't pull off an "aesthetic" that appeals to me, while still being kinda "honest" with what love is about.
A DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON NEW ZEALANDERS! UGH!
The thing is, I use to have a thing for twee. Twee and I used to go to the playground and ride those springy elephant rockers and talk about our experiences with "take your kid to work day" and how my dad is cooler than twee's dad, but then twee discovered alcohol and sex and social suicide. Then I met the Swedes.
HEY, SHUT THE FUCK UP AND CLICK ME.
And they make me happy for now. But they're still not microquirk.
OMG I'M A DISGRUNTLED AND JEALOUS FILMMAKER/MUSICIAN AND JUST REALIZED THAT THAT'S THE REASON "I DESPISE TWEE AMERICANA". Guess I should make a music video for "Piece This Together".
In case you aren't "getting" this post, the pics above are album covers and when you click them, music videos play via youtube. Sigh...
- ► 2012 (10)
- NEW DEPARTMENT OF EAGLES VIDEO: NO ONE DOES IT LIK...
- UNTITLED pt.2
- WHEN KEEPIN' IT REAL GOES "WRONG" - DAVID KHARI WE...
- TWO (2) CR33PERZ TRY THEIR HARDEST TO SCARE THE ON...
- I'M BLOGGING ABOUT A BLOG WORTH BLOGGING ABOUT BEC...
- I THINK I CAN PRETEND TO BE HAPPY FOR A MINUTE
- MOVIE REVIEW: GOOD PENIS
- MOVIE REVIEW: TWILIGHT EPISODE IV: VAMPIRES IN SEA...
- UNTITLED pt.1
- I'M REALLY PRETTY VERY MUCH A USELESS HUMAN BEING
- MOVIE REVIEW: THE BIG LEBOWSKI
- MOVIE REVIEW: 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS
- MOVIE REVIEW: VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
- THE McGILLICUDDY CHRONICLES: VIRGINITY THIEVES
- 'POLITICS' PART TWO
- DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 03/26/2009
- Do My Tits Look Big in This
- THE SIREN AND THE GREAK POTE
- TRANSATLANTIC LOVE AFFAIR
- 'POLITICS' PART ONE
- FLOYD IS A COKEWHORE
- MORNING SERIAL 1.4
- WHY I DESPISE TWEE AMERICANA
- Fuck You if You Can't Open My Door
- MORNING SERIAL 1.1-3
- A POEM, FOR A QUEER
- FLUFF, FLUFF, FLUFFITY FLUFF
- UUUUUNSPIRED :-P
- ASSES WITHOUT HOLES
- GIVE A LITTLE
- COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT
- NOT TO MAKE YOU JEALOUS OR ANYTHING, BUT I HAVE GR...
- PREFERENTIAL DIFFERENTIAL
- NOTE TO SELF II
- TWO, NOT ONE
- JUSTIN M. JIMINEZ PRESENTS "MOVIE MIND"
- THE EXPANSE
- SHIT Y'ALL, I'M GETTING "VULNS"
- COOL BEANS, MAN.
- NO MORE SEX!
- more more ROMANTIC RHETORIC
- i need a good screw
- ΗΛΙΑΚΕΣ ΚΗΛΊΔΕΣ (SUNSPOTS)
- LIKE MUSIC TO MY SCHLONG
- PLANET OF PLATONOIDS
- FRENCH THINGS
- TRANSGENDER CONTINENTAL
- EXILE FROM PANSYLAND
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 3/7/09
- THE LIAISON
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 3/5/09
- ▼ March 2009 (65)