Animal Collective. Merriweather Post Pavilion. Probably grossly familiar and hopefully overplayed as far as you're ears are concerned. But, because it's that fucking good:
These cats exude avant-garde microquirk, in fact this is nanoquirk, but let's not get into the specifics (or atomics for that matter). The subject is domestic, the music is post-modular, and the visuals for the music video are post-post-symbolic. They're universal. But to rein it in and put a label on it, because that's what we're trying to do, we first have to reiterate that music has become about putting complex rhythms, moving melodies, and cohesive harmonies together with words that elicit genuine emotion. How better to do this than to take all that music has become, and thrust it back into the dancing rhythm, chirping chant, and prayer/mantra-like call and response that the art form was birthed as? This music is ancient and new and everything in between, and goddamn is it loopable.
And now, in case any of you had any reservations about this bit of cinematic splendor, let me dispel them.
Lana(Larry)Larry(Lana) and Andy Wachowski's "Speed Racer" was sold to me as "the most postmodern film ever made". On this basis I saw it, and on that basis I have to say that you should probably see it too. Because it's fucking awesome.
This film is completely self-aware and absolutely anti-convention as far as convention is concerned. All of the greenscreen is obvious and obviously on purpose, each plot device is a gimmick, but perfectly executed, and the ease with which you are drawn into the narrative is supernatural. This is the only movie from last year I didn't hesitate to give a 10, and it wasn't even looked at for any well-known film awards. In fact, Silver Pictures nearly went bankrupt making this movie, and as far as I know, only eight people have seen it. But you should add yourself to that short list, because as far as microquirk is concerned, this movie is the godfather of its cinematic existence. And besides that, it is perfect.
- ► 2012 (10)
- NEW DEPARTMENT OF EAGLES VIDEO: NO ONE DOES IT LIK...
- UNTITLED pt.2
- WHEN KEEPIN' IT REAL GOES "WRONG" - DAVID KHARI WE...
- TWO (2) CR33PERZ TRY THEIR HARDEST TO SCARE THE ON...
- I'M BLOGGING ABOUT A BLOG WORTH BLOGGING ABOUT BEC...
- I THINK I CAN PRETEND TO BE HAPPY FOR A MINUTE
- MOVIE REVIEW: GOOD PENIS
- MOVIE REVIEW: TWILIGHT EPISODE IV: VAMPIRES IN SEA...
- UNTITLED pt.1
- I'M REALLY PRETTY VERY MUCH A USELESS HUMAN BEING
- MOVIE REVIEW: THE BIG LEBOWSKI
- MOVIE REVIEW: 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS
- MOVIE REVIEW: VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
- THE McGILLICUDDY CHRONICLES: VIRGINITY THIEVES
- 'POLITICS' PART TWO
- DELUSIONS OF GRANDEUR
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 03/26/2009
- Do My Tits Look Big in This
- THE SIREN AND THE GREAK POTE
- TRANSATLANTIC LOVE AFFAIR
- 'POLITICS' PART ONE
- FLOYD IS A COKEWHORE
- MORNING SERIAL 1.4
- WHY I DESPISE TWEE AMERICANA
- Fuck You if You Can't Open My Door
- MORNING SERIAL 1.1-3
- A POEM, FOR A QUEER
- FLUFF, FLUFF, FLUFFITY FLUFF
- UUUUUNSPIRED :-P
- ASSES WITHOUT HOLES
- GIVE A LITTLE
- COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT
- NOT TO MAKE YOU JEALOUS OR ANYTHING, BUT I HAVE GR...
- PREFERENTIAL DIFFERENTIAL
- NOTE TO SELF II
- TWO, NOT ONE
- JUSTIN M. JIMINEZ PRESENTS "MOVIE MIND"
- THE EXPANSE
- SHIT Y'ALL, I'M GETTING "VULNS"
- COOL BEANS, MAN.
- NO MORE SEX!
- more more ROMANTIC RHETORIC
- i need a good screw
- ΗΛΙΑΚΕΣ ΚΗΛΊΔΕΣ (SUNSPOTS)
- LIKE MUSIC TO MY SCHLONG
- PLANET OF PLATONOIDS
- FRENCH THINGS
- TRANSGENDER CONTINENTAL
- EXILE FROM PANSYLAND
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 3/7/09
- THE LIAISON
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 3/5/09
- ▼ March 2009 (65)