3/16/2009

SYMPATHY

B. McGILLICUDDY

"What do you want me to do!?"
"I just want you to empathize with me!"
"Nonononono, what it is you're asking is for me to sympathize with you. I know how you feel! You're afraid, you're at a loss, you don't know what's next and you think you might not be able to handle it. I'm sorry honey, but that happens to everyone! Hell, I feel like that right this second, but you know what? You just gotta suck it up and fight through it because not a single person can do a goddamned thing for you."
"I'm asking you to be here for me. I'm asking you to help support me through this!"
"What do you think this is!? I'm telling you what you goddamn need to hear. Every single word I'm speaking to you is truth! Cold, hard fact."
"You asked me what it is I wanted you to do and you're not even listening to my answer."
"Okay. I'm sorry. What do you want?"
"A hug."
"A 'hug'?"
"Yes. A 'hug'. I want you to hold me."
"Are you fucking kidding me? What the hell is that going to do!?"
"It'll prove to me that you're here for me, that you are actually willing to be here with me in spite of my problems. That you don't see me as less of a person, or less of a part of your life just because we have our own issues. It will show me that there is at least one person on this planet who wants me to succeed, because so far, it seems to me like the whole bloody lot of the entire fucking universe is against me. And the universe, to be honest with you, is heavy as shit. So I would really, really...really like a hug."
"No."

B. McGILLICUDDY

No comments:

Post a Comment

archive