When I posted the video for Chairlift's "Evident Utensil", I coined a little aesthetic concept I called "microquirk", that I think will define the next decade's "look" in the collective memory come the 2020's retrospective. Understanding it is difficult, but there are a few artists who embody this aesthetic perfectly in the areas of technology, "music", "fashion", and "painting". There's also a literary element to it that I try to capture in my writing. Let's see if you guys "get it".
James Jean is an artist I think captures this aesthetic in all of his work.
Combining vivid color, palpable texture, and a taste for the immaculately obscene, Jean somehow transcends metaphor and symbolism, creating something altogether familiar and new.
Also, his imagery is a juxtaposition of the "epic" and "romantic" against a sort of detached, childish sentimentalism, and all of the art has an awareness of its presence in the digital age.
I think the compression, over time, of the many pop-culture rip-off collages dubbed "originality" in the late double-aughts has produced this multi-layered, not quite crystalline, not quite liquid, completely pixel-based aesthetic force. It's the new "new" and I'll happily be your quiet resource for it as long as it's around :)
- ► 2012 (10)
- A LOT LIKE THE TRUTH
- MICROQUIRK UPDATE 2/28/09
- DITZ AND JIZZ
- THIS POST MEANS noTHING (ABRIDGED)
- MIDSHIFT REMINISCENCE
- SOME UNDISPUTED FACTS ABOUT GIRLS
- THE GENTLEMAN'S PLAYBOOK (it DOES exist)
- PHANTOM IMPULSE
- more ROMANTIC RHETORIC
- I AM A MAN pt.5/5
- SHITTY ANGELS
- I AM A MAN pt.4/5
- I AM A MAN pt.3/5
- I AM A MAN pt.2/5
- I AM A MAN pt.1/5
- BEN OPRSTU PRESENTS: FUN LOVE MIXTAPE
- PEOPLE WHO OBVI "GET" VALENTINES DAY
- B. McGILLICUDDY'S ADVENTURES IN PANSYLAND
- (RSI) RESIDUAL SELF IMAGE
- FATAL ATTRACTION
- THE REASON THAT GIRLS LIKE ASSHOLES(!?)
- LOVER'S ISLAND: SPONSORED BY GOOGLE
- THE TEST OF TRUE LOVE
- NEW CHAIRLIFT VIDEO: EVIDENT UTENSIL
- MOVIE TRAILER: ADVENTURELAND
- 500 DAYS OF SUMMER
- THIS IS NOT SUMMER
- RYAN LESLIE UPDATE
- RYAN LESLIE, RISING SUPERPRODUCER? OR GOD?
- DISTANCE pt.2
- NEW ABSTERSION "BRITISH GIRLS"
- NEW EUGENE McGUINNESS VIDEO "FONZ"
- NEW CHESTER FRENCH VIDEO "SHE LOVES EVERYBODY"
- TRUE STORY
- ▼ February 2009 (42)